Tis the season for seeing blogger friends and catching up over delicious food!
Last week, Wonderful Pistachios got a few of us together for a pop-up dinner — and I said pop-up because when dinner was over most of us ended up going home with chairs from the dinner table! — celebrating the blogging community and seasonal eats!
While I had been to My Cooking Party a few times before this was a nice chance to add delicious pistachios to holiday recipes in time for get togethers that hadn’t happened yet. Plus any chance I get to show off my knife skills is a win in my book. I’m kidding.
I helped make a spicy butternut squash dish.
Here’s the recipe for Spicy Roasted Squash with Wonderful Pistachios –
Delicata and butternut squash are roasted together with warm spices and a bit of cayenne to heat things up. Crunchy Wonderful Pistachios and maple syrup are just the right additions for texture and sweetness.
Garnished with pomegranate arils this dish is a celebration of flavors.
Prep: 18 minutes / Time to Table: 38 minutes / Serves: 8 (about 10 pieces of squash/person; about a cup/person)
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash (4 ½ cups prepped)
- 2 ½ pounds delicata squash
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup shelled Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup POM Wonderful pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
2. Peel and seed butternut squash. Cut in half lengthwise and slice into ½ inch thick pieces. Cut in half again for quarters.
3. Cut delicata in half lengthwise and seed. Cut into ½ inch thick slices. Combine all the squash in a large mixing bowl.
4. Sprinkle the cinnamon, allspice, cayenne and salt over the squash. Mix thoroughly.
5. Melt the butter and stir into the olive oil. Drizzle over the spiced squash and mix thoroughly.
6. Transfer the squash to the baking sheets, arranging in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Stir and flip squash. Sprinkle with Wonderful Pistachios and drizzle with maple syrup. Bake another 5 to 7 minutes until pistachios are just toasted. Remove from the oven.
8. Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle pomegranate arils over the squash. Garnish with chopped parsley.
While the table had adorable pistachio ornaments, we were able to take home for our Christmas trees, I was busy trying to figure out how to take home a platter of the popcorn balls.
The sweet savory combination of pistachio and cherry flavors really won me over. Here’s the recipe for Wonderful Pistachio and Cherry Popcorn Balls –
Old fashioned popcorn balls sparkle with the tart addition of dried cherries and tasty Wonderful Pistachios, while the brown sugar gives them a caramel-y flavor. These are sure to be a hit at any holiday gathering.
Prep: 8 minutes / Time to Table: 18 minutes / Makes: 20 balls about 2 ½ inches in diameter
12 cups popcorn
1 cup shelled Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted, lightly chopped
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
½ cup light corn syrup
¾ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking soda
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large roasting pan combine popcorn, dried cherries and Wonderful Pistachios, mixing thoroughly.
3. In a medium saucepan combine syrup, sugar, butter and salt. Over medium heat bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. Be careful as mixture will bubble up.
4. Pour syrup mixture over popcorn and stir to coat well. Popcorn will still be warm from the syrup. To keep your hands clean slip them into two plastic bags and coat bags with cooking spray or butter.
5. Working quickly, form popcorn mixture into balls about 2 ½ inches in diameter. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet to cool.
I had fun adding pistachios to recipes and wanted to share the experience. For more recipes visit GetCrackin.com
Disclosure: I’ve been compensated to share my experience with you.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ZiplocSavesSpace#CollectiveBias
Having four children means switching four different wardrobes every single season. Not only am I always checking to make sure my four haven’t sprouted up overnight but I’m also looking for space in our teeny, tiny abode to keep it all.
Not only are Ziploc® Space Bags® good for out of season clothing but they are ideal for storing blankets and pillows! I’m starting with just clothing trusting that 3 times the storage (compared to uncompressed storage volume) will make a dent in our apartment. And then I will go back to Lowe’s and get larger sized Ziploc® Space Bags® for our extra pillows and blankets.
My youngest child has a serious dust mite allergy so I am happy that not only are Ziploc® Space Bags® airtight, waterproof and water tight, but they protect against bugs, dirt, mildew, mold and odors! I have a lovely quilt his aunt gave me for my daughter a few years ago. It’s been sitting in a dry cleaning bag all these years but now that I know about Ziploc® Space Bags® it will be stored the right way.
And since I am always finding things after I have closed closets or packed boxes, it’s really nice to know Ziploc® Space Bags® are reusable. I have a feeling I will be opening them to get something out pretty often. Especially during the holiday season when friends and family stop by and we need pillows or extra blankets so they feel comfortable in their home away from home.